Monday, May 21, 2007

The Princess and the Party

Yesterday, we had Maddy's "Pretend Party". She pretended to turn five. She was the happiest little girl on the planet yesterday! She had family and friends come to help her celebrate being the big number 5! She was in her glory with all the attention laid on her!

We had a loose theme of "Cinderella". I say loose because I don't do kid parties. Although I'm a teacher and I'm around kids all day, I can not, for the life of me, plan a kids party without a major anxiety attack. Maybe it's because I never had any kids parties growing up that I just can't imagine that playing "Pin the Crown on the Princess" would be so enthrawling as to take up 1.5 hours of birthday party fun time (yes, I do realize you'd need more than 1 game, but I simply do.not.do.games.)

Anyway, we had a Cinderella invite go out, a Cinderella cake and Cinderella/princess gifts coming out the wazoo by the end of the party!

Here's the Cinderella cake I made for Maddy. Yes, I know Cinderella has blonde hair, but this was a "Maddy Cinderella" princess cake so it's all good! ;)
The goody bags were kept plain and simple. A gift card to Dairy Queen for a small cone, a small bottle of bubbles and some Hershey's kisses. All in a pretty blue bag tied off with some blue ribbon and die-cut tag. Sometimes being a scrapbooker has it's advantages. I didn't have to search very long for the right blue ribbon. I had plenty to choose from! ;) Oh, and I know you can't read the tags, but they were addressed to each child using "Lady" or "Lord" before their names. I thought it was cute.
You can barely see it in the photo, but a made a little round cake to write "Happy Birthday, Madeleine" on because I just couldn't bear to do that on the princess cake. Unfortuately, in all my planning, I completely forgot to buy candles! Thankfully, I found one slightly bent tall red candle in my cupboard and it saved the day. In all honesty, I don't think Maddy would have cared all that much. She was all about the dolly cake!
Although, she doesn't seem all that impressed to be eating that lovely cake in this picture, does she?

Opening gifts was interesting this year. Believe it or not, Maddy insisted that the other kids help her unwrap her gifts! Go figure! Thankfully, everyone was quite happy to assist!
One of the best gifts Maddy got was this ribbon. Everyone was fighting to play with it. Such a simple gift, but what a fun one!
Maddy received lots of princess themed stuff. One was a princess dress up costume complete with wand, shoes and skirt. She wasted no time putting those digs on! I think she's destined to be an actress although I do hope I'm wrong!
Don't ya just love the fuzzy slippers?! It was part of the dress up outfit. I just couldn't resist taking a picture of this. It's so Maddy! It's so diva-ish...just like my princess! I can't believe my baby girl will be five in two days. Where's the time gone?

4 comments:

MomOfThree said...

What a great party, F! You did a wonderful job on the cake. Happy Birthday, Maddy!

Hugs,
Marissa

kimberly/tippytoes said...

Happy birthday Maddy! The cake looks great! The favor bags are perfect.

FlipFlop Mom said...

WOWZAS!! You did AMAZING on the cake..... looks like Maddy had the BEST party!!!! You did GREAT!!!!!!

Crafty P said...

Oh wow! Happy belated birthday, Maddy! I LOVE your cinderella cake, F! It looks awesome!!! And the favor bags are too cute!

Looks like a wonderful party!