Thursday, August 02, 2007

Why I LOVE Uniforms


Let me start off by saying that I did wear a uniform in high school and would gladly, as a teacher, wear any uniform that my school district mandated. In fact, I would almost kiss the Superintendent's feet if he instituted a uniform (notice I didn't say dress code) for all staff and students. Kiss.his.feet.

Here are the reasons I love uniforms:

  1. No muss, no fuss. Your uniform is what you wear. That's it. Get up, shower, put on your uniform. Easy-Peasy


  2. It always matches. Really. Blue and white. Perfect! Khaki and blue; yup, they match, too.


  3. They are never too small/big/tight/loose/long/short/hanging down your bum showing off your teeny tiny thong or your manly boxers...UGH!


  4. I just like the uniformity. I think it just LOOKS good.

So you can imagine my glee; yes, my utter glee when I went out Back To School Shopping today with Madeleine! Stopped off at several stores and here's what we got:

JC Penney's was having a great sale today. Buy one get one free! Whoohooo! Score!

  • 2 short sleeved Peter Pan collar white shirts


  • 1 pair navy blue shorts


  • 1 white polo shirt


  • 2 pair navy long pants (winter uniform)

Then we headed to Footlocker Kids. There we purchased:


  • 2 pair navy blue mesh shorts

Can I just say how hysterical Madeleine looks in those pants? She is not an athletically build kid. She's really slight and tall. Those shorts look humungo on her! When I asked her how she liked them, she said she didn't! ;)

Off to Payless ('cause I can't see paying $50 for shoes she'll outgrow in 2 months):

  • 1 pair all white sneakers for P.E.

She can either wear all white or all black sneakers. No other colors should be on it. Nothing was said about logos, so I assume if there was a Nike or Addias symbol, it wouldn't be a big deal. We'll worry about brand names when she's older and cares. Right now, we're both worried about the fact that I could find no shoes with velcro tabs. None. So, she's got to learn to tie laces. Oh, fun times ahead, I'm sure!

Children's Place was next on the list:

  • 2 long sleeved white button down shirts (winter uniform)


  • head band


  • pony tail elastic thingy (so darn cute!)

Yesterday we scored at Target as well:

  • cute navy blue MaryJane style dress shoe


  • 2 pair navy blue cable socks


  • 2 pair white cable socks

We picked up a few items as well in May at the school's Used Uniform Sale. She got a couple of long sleeved shirts that when we tried them on today, were way too big for her. Thus the reason we bought 2 yesterday. She also got a couple of cute jumpers (also a couple from my sister-in-law whose daughter attends school there as well). She also got a couple of skirts and a white blouse for her summer uniform at that time.

We are ready for school to start. All we need to get now are some tee-shirts for P.E. They must have the school logo/crest on them, so no scouting for bargains on that item. No worries, though. We can definitely hand those down to the boys later.

No comments: