
Because OMGoodness, it is SO STINKIN' GOOD! Maddy adores pumpkin. I don't know why since she won't touch anything remotely normal in the fruit and veggie world. Offer her a strawberry, and she wrinkles her nose in disgust; give her anything made with pumpkin; including pumpkin pie (which I've always thought of as an acquired taste) and she's all over it. Yes. My child is weird.
Anyway, I was doing some blog hopping one day and I happened upon this blog and found the world's best Pumpkin Bread recipe. So, so, soooo good! The only changes I made were putting in 1.5 cups whole wheat flour and 1.5 cups of white flour and substituting 1 cup unsweetened applesauce for the 1 cup oil because I seriously do not need any more calories to consume; especially calories from fat. They were super duper good regardless of the substitution. I may cut down on the sugar next time but I figure since it will be primarily my skinny minny children consuming the said loaf and muffins (yes, I made them into muffins; it took about 35 minutes to bake, give or take) I may not even bother fooling around with the sugar all that much.
Terrific recipe and my many thanks to Linda for posting it on her blog! :)
Hmmm...ok, apparently, my links to Linda's blog aren't working so I'm going to list her blog addy here as well as the recipe. I did want to give her some props, but blogger doesn't seem to want to cooperate. Sorry 'bout that!
Linda's blog: http://lindashouseofchaos.blogspot.com/
And here's the recipe, copied straight from her blog:
Pumpkin Bread presented by Frisco Street Bed & Breakfast
Ingredients:
3 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 cups pumpkin
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup oil 3 cups flour
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Directions:
Add oil to sugar and blend, whip in eggs.
Add sifted dry ingredients.
Stir in pumpkin.
Put in greased and floured pan (bundt pan works nicely).
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Cool ten minutes in pan and remove.
Can be made as muffins, just reduce the baking time. (My cooking time, as stated above was about 35 minutes for the muffins)


4 comments:
holy cannolis! that must make a heck of a lot of pumpkin bread! 3 cups of sugar??? Did you sub out any of that?
sounds delish... fall is in the air and this is my absolute fave time of the year! I already made one batch of homemade applesauce and i need to get out and grab some more apples to make more!
OHHHHHHHHHHH girllllll it DOES look YUMMIE!!! MMMMMM!!!!! Happy FALL!!!
Christina, the recipe made 1 dozen muffins and a fair sized loaf (that's already disappeared! Ack!) I did not reduce the sugar, but I'm sure I will next time. It was a bit too sweet for me. Maybe I'll reduce it to 1.5-2 cups and see how it tastes. I didn't want to make too many changes as I'd already subbed out the oil for applesauce and used whole wheat flour for half the flour recommended. I didn't want to push the "healthy" quality of it too far in one shot! Who knows if my kiddos would eat it if they realized how "healthful" I was trying to make the recipe! Ha! ;)
Yummy! MC and B both LOVE pumpkin too and only eat a handful of actual fruits. One thing we've done lately because it's FAST is:
Take one box of carrot or spice cake mix. Combine with 1 can of 100% pure pumpkin. Mix until combined well. Cook as directed on box for cupcakes - makes about 18 muffins and my kids GOBBLE them up. They're really moist though - so they get sticky if the sit too long. They freeze well too.
Post a Comment