to make you feel about 2 inches tall.
Last night was the 14th Annual Auction and Gala at Maddy's school. Everyone dresses to the nines and drinks and mingles and bids on "stuff". This stuff can be baskets commandeered by a class mom of one of the grades (the Preschool 4's AM--Maddy's class) was my "creation"...a basket of games for "Family Night". Apparently at least 2 other families came up with this idea. :S Other "stuff" were signed and framed photos of now famous athletes. Tickets to sporting events, jewlery, hand knit items, a dollhouse, artwork. Pretty much you name it, they had it.
Those were all the Silent Auction Items. Then there were the Teachers' Wish Lists. This is where all the teachers of the school create a wish list of items they would like to purchase for next year to supplement their classroom materials. There were some pretty interesting and cool items on those lists. It will be great to see them in use next year in Maddy and the boys' classes. We donated to the Preschool Wishlist and the Kindergarten teacher's Wishlist.
The last money maker is the Live Auction. There were several trips (Disney World, Rohobeth Beach, someplace in Rhode Island), Pamper Days/Mom/Dad Day Out type items, a beautiful chocolate Labrador, a Crab Party, a Magnum of Champagne delivered to your table and served by the Principal of the School and the Associate Pastor, Lunch for 6 kids with the Principal and Assistant Principal.
It's during the Live Auction that I realized how beyond poor Robin and I are. There was not one item we could have bid on. Not one. In fact, I was in awe of the price tags some items were going for. My sister-in-law and her husband bid on and won a Crab Party for 20. It was valued at $1000 and they paid $2600! HOLY SMOKES! And this is just one thing they purchased or won last night, I'm sure of it. Others paid $3000 for a Mom's Day Out...you know, your typical Spa Day with the girls kinda package. OMG! Seriously. Both Robin and I started to feel a touch poor at that point.
It just makes me sad that I can't contribute as much as others. We made our donation to the Wish Lists and ours were the smallest contributions. :( Others had not just contributed, but had bought specific items off of the teacher's wish list. One in particular that I remember is the Music Teacher's list where a Program Book (I'm assuming a class set or something) was almost $500 that was paid for. Ya, see how we feel pretty small when it comes to our measley contribution? Ugh.
I know that all donations are gratefully accepted, but it does make me feel bad that I could go all out like I might have wanted to. I just feel like I'm not giving what I should and my daughter and sons will benefit from others' generosity more than ours. It's not a good feeling. It never feels good to see how tight your budget is and that you just can't do everything your heart wants. Maybe one day, but right now, what we donated is subtracted from what we would have put towards paying down some debt and/or towards Maddy's tuition for next year. We did contribute what we could, so for that, I don't feel badly. I just wish we were in a position to contribute more. Maybe in the next couple of years we'll be in a better place and be able to do that.
I did, even with all that complaining I just did, have a very good time. I finally feel like I've got some mom friends at Maddy's school. We were able to actually have conversations and hopefully we'll get together for a Mom's Night Out in the next month or so. That was a unique and good feeling to finally feel like I fit in with these moms. It's taken a couple of years, but now that all our kids will be together until at least 8th grade, I think there's more incentive for all of us to bond as our children will be together forcing us into many school related activities together. It was nice.
I also wore a really pretty skirt and top that looked like a dress with a shawl as it was sleeveless. I don't do sleeveless. Paid less than $60 for it from Coldwater Creek's Outlet on line including shipping. My shawl was actually more expensive coming in at $25 from Fashion Bug of all places. I'll take it. I needed something to cover my flabby arms! ;) Robin wore his suit with a nice midnight blue shirt and his fancy cufflinks. He looked pretty dapper! We danced some before getting home to relieve Jeff who'd come to watch the kids. Overall, a nice night. Now...off to start saving some major moolah for next year's gala! ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment