Friday, April 13, 2007

When Did I turn 95?

You know what sucks? When you ache like a 95 year old woman and you're only 35. Ya, that was me this week.

I have plantar facitious (ok, I know I spelled that wrong and I really don't care! I'm feeling kinda ornery right now!) in my left foot. It hurts like a bugger whenever I work out and not a whole lot is helping. The doctor keeps telling me to try this and that and so far, my heel is still killing me. Getting up to pee in the middle of the night is painful. OUCH! Putting my feet on the floor stretches out the ligament/muscle that has been constricted and oh.my.holy.heck it hurts!

Apparently, that's just not enough pain for little ol' me. Nope. I need more. Monday, after a horrific outing with all three kids to run errands (remember, we'd just returned from Canada on Sunday and there was nothing in the fridge to eat), I was putting away some cereal I got at a fantastic price, away in my little island. I was on my knees, and twisted just the wrong way and something in my right lower back just 'popped'. One little 'pop' of something in my back had me wailing in pain on the floor of my kitchen within about 5 seconds of it happened. Oh the agony!

I thought I'd be ok. I mean, hey, I'm only 35 years old! I can walk it off. Apparently, my bravado didn't help my physical state. I was in pain so bad all afternoon, I couldn't even bake a chicken like I'd planned for dinner. Ugh! We ordered pizza instead. How pathetic.

I made it through the night dosing up on Tylenol and prayers. Tuesday, my back still hurt, but I figured if I was gentle with myself during the day, I should be fine. Got through the workday ok, but when I got home, I stupidly pushed it. I got dinner ready and then started prepping dinner for Wednesday night. I really wanted a minestrone soup Wednesday, so off to peeling carrots, chopping and dicing I went. On my feet. With a back that not only started to stiffen, but would start to spasm every so often. Nice.

Had dinner and then sat down for the evening. Getting off the couch to go to bed was a nightmare. I have never, even while pregnant with the twins, ever had a harder time getting off the couch. My back just went into pain overdrive and I was litterally in tears of pain trying to stand and get to the bedroom. Getting pj's on was excruciating and Robin kept insisting I go to the E.R. Puhleeeesse! The E.R.? This stubborn Italiana? Not on your life! I was going to bed because gosh darn it, tomorrow the pain would be all gone. You just wait!

Up on Wednesday. Back is still sore as heck. Well, again, the stubborn Italian in me decided a nice hot shower would work out any of the kinks. WRONG! It did something though. It made my pain worse somehow. I don't know how, but it did. While trying to walk down the stairs to get Maddy up for the day I yelped in pain and stood frozen halfway down the stairs, coffee cup in hand. My back hurt so bad a pain was shooting from my hip area down my leg and up my back to my neck. Robin came running to help me and I was standing frozen, crying and not knowing what to tell him to do to help me.

I finally managed to sit down on the stairs, regain my composure and make it to Maddy's room...all before Robin had a chance to get mad at me for it. See? I am stubborn. Got Maddy together, went to work dosed up on Tylenol and had the most pathetically miserable day of my teaching career.

It was awful, painful and sad. My poor students. They knew I was "off", but didn't know how "off" until the Assistant Principal came into the room cheerily waving a pink slip. That could only mean one thing: A class coverage for another teacher during one of my "off" periods. I never, ever, ever refuse these coverages. I know what a pain it is to not have someone cover your class and I know others have had to cover mine. But Wednesday I looked at him straight in the eye and said "I can't. Not today." He tried to cajole me into it and I suddenly lost all professionalism and said "NO! Not today. If you make me move from my chair, I will cry. My back HURTS! and I can't move!" :sob: Needless to say, he left in a hurry and my students put their heads down and pretended to be reviewing for their oral exams they were having that day.

I finally decided to not be so darn brave and stubborn and went to the E.R. that afternoon. I had a great doctor who believed me and gave me a shot of something so wonderful, my pain went from 7.5/10 to a 4/10 within 30 minutes. Ahhhhh.....wonderful. Heaven. She sent me on my merry way with a 'script for vicodin, naproxin and valium. Wow! Now there's a cool pharmacutical concotion!

I was home yesterday because I figured I shouldn't attempt to teach with any of the before mentioned drugs in my system, let alone drive. I slept 'til 10 a.m. when all was said and done. Bliss...sheer and utter bliss. I did get up and help get the kiddos ready for daycare and then plopped back into bed when Robin dropped them off. I puttered around the house and cleaned my cabinet fronts in the kitchen...but valium and me...we're not friends. Ugh! I felt lousey after taking that pill. Me and vicodin...we're great friends! ;) I felt pretty good after that little pill! LOL.

Went back to work today and tonight I realized that in my haze of pill popping the past couple of nights...I completely forgot to take my Zyrtec...so my darn hives are back in full force.

Ya...I guess I'm a 95 year old woman...

1 comment:

kimberly/tippytoes said...

Hey, can I get your doctor's name? I think I'd like to see her. ;)

I know you have hives, but I laughed when reading that you forgot to take your medicine because you were flyin' high!