Monday, August 18, 2008

Secret Agent Man

Today was my first day back at work; although unofficially. We don't "officially" begin until tomorrow, but if I wait 'til then, well, my classroom will look like it threw up paper everywhere. We have way too many meetings scheduled over the next five days (kids start next Tuesday) and I'm not looking forward to it at all. Meetings are the death knell for any spark of creativity I ever have in a day. Make me sit for more than a half an hour and I can't get back any of the spark I had before to do anything.

Anyway. All that to tell you that I came home pretty pooped with the kiddos. I picked them up a bit earlier than they were expecting, so they got to eat their afternoon snack on the way to the library. No sooner had we rounded the corner away from the library did the lamet for more snacks begin. Remember...they've already HAD snacks. They shouldn't be hungry. But, apparently they think they are.

We get home and the lament turns into a whine. After 20 minutes of whining, I wanted to tear my hair out. Luckily, right around that time, William decided he'd counter offer on my snack choice. I told him he could have some fruit; he wanted Gold Fish. I said no. Whine, whine, whine. Then his counter offer came: the cherry tomatoes Uncle Jeff brought the night before. NO PROBLEM! Eat up, kiddo.

Except John wasn't going for this tomato business when there were delightful Gold Fish crackers to go after. So, John put his thinking cap on and got down to business.

Once William finished his snack, he went downstairs to join John. And the whispering began. Barely audible, but definitely whispering. Next thing I know, William is bounding up the stairs into the kitchen and then bounces down the steps with a bag of...you guessed it, Gold Fish crackers in his hot little hands. Slick. Real slick.

I remind him he's not allowed and to return the bag to the kitchen. He does so reluctantly, pouting the whole way. He heads back downstairs and whispers angrily to John "It didn't work! She saw me!" To which John replies "Ok, here's what you do. You go upstairs and tell mommy to close her eyes and THEN go get the Gold Fish and come down!"

Secret Agent men they could never be. Slick, boys. Reallllllly slick! ;)

No comments: