Wednesday, October 25, 2006

I Wonder If I'm Cut Out For Management?

Because everyone else seems to think I am! I'm not sure whether to feel flattered or annoyed by this fact. I think it's because I'm a tad organized. I am a "plan ahead" kinda girl. It stresses me out too much to not have things organized. I think it drives my family crazy. I've been planning Thanksgiving since early September and Halloween was taken care of by the end of August. It's a sickness, I tell you.

At school, I've somehow become a defacto department head, even though there is no paid position for it. I go to the county department meetings. Ya, I get paid to go, if you consider $30 for the 1.5 hours I spend trying not to fall asleep at the meetings and then fighting traffic at 5 p.m. to pick up my kiddos from daycare adequate payment. The money isn't the reason I go. I go because we need consistant representation of our school and our department at these county-wide meetings. We were sending a random staff member each month. No consistency and there just didn't seem to be the cohesion we needed, not to mention none of us had a clue what the director was talking about, let alone who all the other reps were. Not fun. So...I volunteered to go. Yes, I'm stupid.

Now, apparently, I've become the "Official Unofficial Mentor" to one of my students. Love this child dearly. But...how in the world was it decided that I should be his mentor???? Oh well. I've got a good rapport with him and mom and now I just need to be organized enough to chase after him and get the skinny from the other teachers who teach him about what he's missed handing in and what upcoming assignments he has coming up. Hopefully meeting with him every couple of weeks will help, but I have a feeling this will be a weekly meeting...during lunch...oh...joy...

My organizational skills oftentimes bite me in the behind, too. I'm so super organized that I have the kids' breakfasts/lunches made the night before. They loooooove waffles for breakfast, so I portion those out on Sunday afternoon along with yogurt that I scoop out into little reusuable containers. I scoop out enough for the three kids for the entire work week. I get their stuff ready lickity-split in the mornings. So lickity-split that I get myself presentable for the day, get all the kids up, into their clothes, faces washed, teeth and hair brushed and my make-up on all in the span of 1 hour.

My husband, love him to pieces, has only one speed. It's his man speed. Nothing will make him move faster than his man speed dictates. So; because I'm so organized with our morning routine, he gets the pleasure of a shower every morning (I shower in the evening), gets dressed at his leisure. He also then takes the time to clean his glasses ever so thouroughly and take his many medications. He then gives our daughter her medicine and helps the boys get their shoes and coats on...Ya...nice equitable distribution of the tasks, huh? See how it bites me in the behind? I can't stand to be late. So I do double time to get stuff done. He continues at his leisurely man pace. I just can't figure out how he made it through basic training!

Anyway, part of me wonders if I'm cut out for a more administrative type job in education. I don't know. Perhaps, but do I have the burning desire to do it? Jury is still out on that. I don't think I have the drive to take the classes I would have to. I'm just too lazy. I do think I'd rock any kind of administrative job. Not sure if I'd enjoy it until it was time for retirement (which can't come too soon!). I simple love the interaction I have with students way too much to ever give it up completely. I guess it's something to ponder...you know...in January when I'm taking a stupid class that I need for Continuing Education Credits..grrrrrr! :S

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

Francesca, will you marry me???!!!

~ Cyn <3

Miss French Jessica said...

:) Sure Cyn! I'll marry you. I don't think Robin would have a problem with it! ;)

Cynthia said...

Thanks, Francesca! I really could use someone like you around here! ;)

All kidding aside, *of course* you have what it takes to be an administrator! You have the organizational skills, but more importantly you have the *passion*! Don't push yourself. Just because you have what it takes, doesn't mean that you have to go for it right now. Maybe it *is* now (what do I know) or maybe it will be when the boys are in school full-time, or maybe later? It's easy to see with the extra duties that you take on that you are definitely heading in that direction. Just remember, there's no hurry! :) Listen to your inner voice, you'll know when the time is right and what you need to do along the way! It's your passion that my professor reminds me of you!

~ Cyn <3