Saturday, January 20, 2007

The Case of the Missing Candy

My detective skills were called into play today. I had been downstairs getting laundry done and talking with my sister on the telephone (I multi-task like that) and apparently didn't notice that my children were not being obnoxious or crazy while I was talking with her. I should have taken that as a sign that something not good was going on. I was, however, distracted by the adult conversation I was having that had nothing to do with potties, ballerinas or dvds of the Wiggles!

As I was going up the stairs, phone on one ear still talking with my sister, and a basket of folded clothes in my other hand, I happened upon this scene:

Upon closer inspection, I realized that they were indeed...
CANDY WRAPPERS! AH-HA! A mystery to solve! Time to don my detective's cap and pull out my magnifiying glass to search out clues to who the culprits who committed this crime!
My first stop is the freezer. I know that this is the last known place of chocolates. Upon opening the freezer door, what do I discover? Why, THIS! Observe, fellow detective and see if you can see what I noticed immediately...
Of course, you beeing the keen observer not only noticed the bag was OPEN, but that it was not on the shelf in the freezer it was originally left one! AH-HA! One clue as to who the prime suspect has to be. It must be a child who is tall enough to reach waaaaayyyy back into the freezer with the aide of a step stool. Moving through the crime scene, I notice the IKEA step stool that is normally kept in the bathroon strewn into the living room which is adjecent to the kitchen. AH-HA! I'm getting warmer to discovering our culprit.
As I turn around, I find this fellow streaking past me:

A three year old boy, wrappers in hand racing for the trash can to destroy any evidence I may have. But I, being the great detective that I am, takes a few more pictures to enter into evidence:
Upon closer inspection, I notice that our blurry culprit from the preceding photo, is, in fact, John Michael! He is moving at the speed of lightening trying to clean up the mess and dispose of the evidence.
When presented with the evidence of his crime, John accepts my plea agreement and rats out his older sister and brother as his co-consipirators in this Candy Caper. Maddy was our freezer raider and William was our foil unwrapper. All three of them were found guilty of consuming the crime of Consuming Chocolate without a Licence. A crime punishable by 5 minutes in time out and a stern talking to. I'm sure they have reformed their criminal ways and are on the path to righteousness. ;)

4 comments:

Cynthia said...

Too stinking funny! Yes, the uninterrupted phone call should have been your first clue, but then again, it's *really* hard to resist enjoying that uninterrupted phone time. I'd have done the same and enjoyed the peace. Anyway, think of all that great bonding time between siblings! Had you been on top of things, they would have missed that opportunity to bond!

~ Cyn <3

MomOfThree said...

Too cute!

~M

Crafty P said...

so funny. am i understanding this right, the candy was in the freezer and they still found it? amazing little thieves!

Cloves said...

Very Funny!