Sunday, January 14, 2007

Financial Freedom, Here We Come!

I hope!

I'm hopeless at budgeting. We're both on board with the Dave Ramsey plan for paying off our debt. While our credit card debit isn't horrid, our Home Equity Line...well, let's just say having twins really did a number on our finances.

My biggest stressor is figuring out how much to budget for groceries. I usually shop at the commissary every 4-6 weeks. We can definitely make it 6 weeks with the groceries I buy! I stock my pantry pretty darn well and we rarely order in or go out for dinner (although, I must say, I'm craving a night out with my hubby!). We eat leftovers or find a creative way to "reuse" them in another meal. I have, on average, spend $3oo at the commissary and about $35-40 a week at the grocery store to replenish milk, eggs, yogurt and fruit. I'm just used to going about my business at the commissary, buying what I need and knowing I'll be just fine with paying because I have my trusty check card!

Ahh...my check card. I love my check card. But, this is a no-no according to Dave. I must cut up all credit cards. I must use only cash. It's using only cash that's stressing me out. What if I don't have enough???? The horror of not having enough money! Ack! Excuse me while I go break out in hives!

Now, I know what you're all going to say: "Forget that Ramsey dude! Use your card if it's causing you that much stress!" Well, ya, but I don't want to! My parents saved their money the way Dave's suggesting. It's all very "retro" so to speak. You don't buy something you can't pay cash for. Period. My parents were experts at this. I really never saw my dad with a credit card until he was retired! Now he only has it for those rare moments he might need to leave a credit card number for something he's renting...you know, like "If you don't come back with my rototiller (yes, he does rent them!), then we'll charge your credit card for it" kind of rental. My parents, while not rich, lived comfortably and well. I want that kind of freedom. I want to own my home outright and not fear for my retirement, my kids' college or whatever emergency might come up. I never want to be at the mercy of a bank calling in a note.

So. We're doing this plan. We're even putting off buying couches that we REALLY need. I mean, our current ones are about to break and are sagging so badly it's ridiculous. We realized tonight we're both committed to NOT buying them until we can pay cash. Man, sometimes it sucks, but we'll have to do it. We just can not afford another payment, even if it is "no interest 'til 2008".

Wish me luck working through this one. I have my "fun money" that I"m going to need to hold on to 'til Friday. I'm going to a ladies' night out and need that for my FOOD AND DRINKS! Ya, baby! I'm going to have some F-U-N on Friday night! LOL. Anyway. This budgeting thing is either going to make us stronger as a couple and financially or just ruin us completely! ;) Wish us luck! Financial freedom...here we come!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Wow six weeks!!!????!!?? That's some serious meal planning! You must have to go back for fruits & veggies though, right?

I've been trying the Ramsey thing too, and although I haven't actually managed to save up for something, it did mean I'm able to pay for it when my car broke down last week. Of course that means I *won't* have the car insurance money when that comes due, but at least I won't be short on both.