Saturday, February 02, 2008

Crêpes!

It's getting to be that time of year again! Mardi Gras is just a few days away, and being a French teacher, it behooves me to celebrate this day with my students. So every year, I make crêpes for my students. This year I have over 120 students. I try to make two crêpes per student but I'm not sure if I'll have the stamina for that!

I usually make the batter at home the night before Mardi Gras and then make the crêpes at school on my griddle. This year, however, we're also going to incorporate a parade and candy tossing in a few classrooms, so I won't really have time to do it, so I'm cooking them up at home.

If you saw my refridgerator right now, you'd see three gallon milk jugs filled with crêpe batter along with another gallon sized pitcher and a large mixing bowl. I still have one more gallon of milk to "convert" over to crêpe batter, but I've run out of eggs and room in my fridge. I think I'll make up the crêpes tonight and see how many I get. If I need to, I'll make the other gallon; otherwise, I'm done!

Here's the recipe I use...I just multiply it by 3 or more gallons of milk! ;)

Crêpes

Ingredients:

3 eggs
3 tbsp sugar
2 cups milk
1 cup flour
1 tbsp oil
pinch of salt

Directions:

1. Mix eggs well
2. Add sugar, salt and half the
milk

3. Add flour
4. Add oil and the rest of the
milk

5. Mix well
6. Let rest at least 2 hours before
making crêpes.

7. On a non-stick griddle or pan on the
stove, take one ladle-full of batter and spread in a thin layer. Let cook
on one side, then flip and cook the other side.

8. Fill with your favorite filling and
roll or fold into quarters. Top with whipped cream and sliced fruit (or
anything else you like!)



I learned a trick to make this batter fast and easy: use a blender! In past years, I've done it all by hand and oh my! What a pain in the neck that is! Today went really quickly because I used my blender. The batter was super smooth.

My students will bring in the fillings. We generally fill the crêpes with nutella and fruit or whipped cream. We roll 'em up and top 'em with the whipped cream and sometimes a chocolate sauce. Deeeelish!

1 comment:

FlipFlop Mom said...

OH this sounds like FUN!! and oh so yummy!!!!!!! You'll have to share how it goes!!