Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Now I Remember Why

I don't teach kids younger than 6th grade...cause they grate on my nerves. ;) Well, ok, not always, but much of the time. Today I volunteered my time in Maddy's classroom because we had the day off (Primary Elections). The kids were cute, keen and eager to learn, but they were also a little too...young. Yep. That was their only crime. They're too young. They're so enthusiastic about everything. Makes me nuts!

In middle school, I often lament that the kids aren't as enthusiastic about my classes as I might like, but after today and the seeming overabundance of enthusiasm, I'm ready to go back to the grumbling adolescents I teach day in and day out with some glee. I can remember for every rolled eye I get, I don't have the "Wow! The letter D is the best letter EVER!" For every grunt I get instead of an answer, I don't have to zip up their coats for recess. For every bleary eyed, play station playing in to the wee hours of the morning student I have, I also don't have to deal with listening to the "S" song about sizzling sausages as the kids learn the phonetic sounds of the alphabet.

One positive about this experience over having taught the primary grades while I taught in Canada? No one tried to rub my nylons or play with the buckles on my shoes today. ;)

No comments: