Sunday, February 24, 2008

Perhaps We're Rounding A Corner

Almost a year ago, I wrote this entry basically lamenting the fact that going to mass wound up being a stress-filled free-for-all hour and a half. My boys are active little devils and having them sit quietly was a constant challenge.

Well, today, we went to mass after quite a hiatus (not because we didn't want to go, but because we got sick, etc.). It was with much hesitation that I proclaimed today to be "no bag, no snack at church" day. Couple that with making sure everyone had gone to the potty before we left, I silently prayed we could make it through mass and hoped it would be Father Downs giving mass today and not Monseigneur John who drones on and on and on (sorry Father...but you know it's true!). Unfortunately for us, it was Monseigneur and I gritted my teeth waiting for our munchkins to lose it by the first reading.

Amazingly, not only did I get to listen to the scriptures today, I got to pray, reflect, sing and actually listen and understand the message of the homily today (thank you, Monseigneur. It was a great homily!) without one of my children managing to make me insane! Yeah!!!! Granted, John had a momentary lapse in judgement where he though climbing over the pews using the book shelf was a good idea. He was none too pleased when I pulled him off and scolded him. He decided he'd use his big booming voice in a vaulted ceiling church (voices carry so well in this type of church, in case you're wondering) and cry his insulted cry. Thankfully, pulling him out of the pew and out by the vestibule where I could close the door and have a quiet chat with him about his behaviour was enough. We missed maybe two minutes total and he was an "angel" the rest of the time.

Maybe, just maybe, we're rounding a corner. That would be so nice. I've missed the time I could just sit and reflect and pray over the past five years. I love my children, but there are times I wish I could find a sitter for Sunday mornings! ;) Looks like we're getting close to them being able to make it through the mass without major meltdowns, feedings or distractions. Praise God! :D

1 comment:

Tanja said...

Really? You're almost there? Good. Maybe there's hope in our house, too. I love what you said about wishing for a sitter on Sunday. Amen, sister! We go to a Baptist church, so I'm sure there are differences, but kids are kids. I've dreaded many a service because of what I thought mine might do. And lots of messages have been condensed for trips to the bathroom for "discussions".