Sunday, October 07, 2007

I Gave Birth To My Twin

I've always suspected it, but I think I just wanted to pretend it wasn't true. My daughter is way, way, way too much like me! It's really quite eerie sometimes. She's always favored me in terms of looks. She really does look a lot like me. She has the same facial expressions as I do. And, dare I brag? She has the same memory as I do. She can remember the most seemingly insignificant thing that was mentioned months and months ago when you didn't think she was actually listening. She listens and stores away all this minutae just to pull it out at the most inexplicable moments. One of the only things she gets from Robin is her height/weight ratio. Thankfully, she got that from him, or we'd have an overweight little person here! ;)

Unfortunately for me, it's not just my positive traits that she inherited. She's also got my red hot temper. She's also quite bossy and not very kind when she's grouchy. Perhaps the worst trait she's inherited from me is my total inability to let go when someone has slighted me or hurt me in some way. No matter how tiny the slight/hurt, I can not seem to let it go. Maddy's the same.

Tonight, she didn't want to go to her room to get her pj's. She hates going there alone. I don't know why, she just tells me she thinks scarey things and wants a buddy to go with her. Well, sometimes, that just doesn't happen and a full out crying-whining session begins. Tonight, both Robin and I had had it. We basically told her she had no choice. She shrieked and cried and carried on, but finally emerged with her nightgown. We praised her up and down for her bravery. No dice. The scowl on her face was fixed and she was having none of this false celebration. She was ticked off that we made her do something she didn't want to do. Even a half an hour later she was all pouty about it. I'm the same way. It's so hard to look at your daughter and realize that the things about her than tend to drive you the craziest are the same traits you have...and that those things may very well be driving others crazy.

Adolescence should be fun, huh? :S

1 comment:

kimberly/tippytoes said...

I understand - Clover is so similar to me, right down to her temper and the angry things that come out of her mouth. Eek!