Sunday, October 14, 2007

Well then.

Just wanted to vent. Yes, I'm being petty. Yes. I know, but I still need to vent.

Today is my birthday. I am 36 years old. I'm shocked at the number. I don't feel 36; although, granted, I'm not quite sure what 36 should feel like. I just stopped "feeling" older once I hit 25. I actually have to remind myself that I'm not really 25 anymore. So, I'm certainly not upset about a new number. This number just looks "odd" to me. 35 seemed fine. But 36 kinda jolts me a little bit; like a little reminder that 40 isn't that far away. For some reason, 40 is freaking me out a little. I will not worry too much about 40, however, for at least 3 more years. ;)

What is annoying me to death today is that even though it is the one day that is supposed to be all about me (yes, I am that shallow!), today, it was all about the NFL; specifically, the Washington Redskins.

That's certainly not to say no one acknowelged my 'special' day. I got up and made waffles for everyone. I made and served waffles and coffee to my lovely husband after I got the kids settled with their breakfast. That slightly annoyed me, but I let it roll off my back because I had promised the kids I'd make waffles today when I begged it off yesterday.

Later in the morning, the kids gave me their cards and the presents. I got some cute cards and all the kids signed their own names this year. It was very sweet. My presents included a lovely 2008 Paris calendar, a dvd and an MP3 player. We had cake and the kids sang "Happy Birthday" and helped me blow out my candles.

And then 11:30 a.m. hit and my brother-in-law showed up. Then at 12:30, my other brother-in-law and his sons arrived...oh, and Robin had gone to get our son-in-law and the grandkids during this time. By 1 p.m. we had a full house, including my mother-in-law. They weren't there for me. They were there for the hamburgers and hot dogs that Robin was grilling along with watching the Redskins play the Packers. Well then. I guess Happy birthday to me.

Yes, I'm disappointed. I just wish that I could have had a day that was about me. See? I'm so darn shallow. I think I'm more upset now because while the Redskins' lost many hours ago, I'm still stuck in football hell because now we (and I use that term loosely) need to see how Dallas does against New England. Seriously. An entire DAY of football when it's supposed to be my day. Oh, and my dad, brother and sister didn't bother calling 'til a half an hour ago. Did I speakto everyone? No. My brother conveyed birthday wishes from everyone. Apparently I don't rate high enough for everyone to give me a quick "Happy Birthday!" message on the phone.

Yes, yes, I'm being petty and immature. I suck. So does turning 36. :(

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

Happy birthday, again, Francesca!!! I don't think that you are being shallow, immature or petty. I really don't. You deserve to be celebrated and I'm sorry that you weren't.

I don't think, though, that I would have served waffles to anyone over the age of, say, 11. That was your first mistake. Then hanging around for the game(s) was your second. I seriously would have quietly excused myself to run some made-up errands and left - sans children. If others aren't going to treat you the way that you deserve to be treated, then you need to do it yourself.

I sympathize with the age thing, I really do. But I'd be happy to be 36 again!!! ;)

(((((((((hugs)))))))))

~ Cyn <3

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Francesca! I'm sorry the day wasn't all you wanted it to be. It's not shallow and petty to be disappointed. It is your day. You are special. You deserve to be celebrated. I'm sorry you weren't.

Big, big hugs! And another Happy Birthday!

kimberly/tippytoes said...

This isn't being petty - I'd be mad as hell! I'd also be quietly happy that the Redskins lost, but that is only because I'm petty!

Crafty P said...

Oh my goodness... HAPPY BIRTHDAY Girlfriend!

I think 36 is a perfectly beautiful even number! celebrate you! Scrapbook a page with 36 wonderful reasons it's great to be 36!!!!

You ROCK!

Suzy said...

Happy Belated Birthday! It is understandable wanting a day for you. I say you take a day this weekend for you and let them make the waffles!

On a side note, I did like the Packer-Washington game. :) It turned out great for GB fans. ;)

Enjoy being 36!

suzy