Tuesday, October 30, 2007

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

ARGH! After a weekend of cleaning out closets, cupboards and toy rooms, I'm incredibly frustrated. Let me back track a little:

About two weeks ago, we get a call from some charity asking if we have any donations. Robin took the call; asked me and I said sure. I told him to ask them to call us back the night before so I'd remember to put the stuff out. Ok. So I had a vague idea that Charity X (I had no idea which charity we were contributing to, I was just glad to have someone come and haul my stuff away and give me a tax write off!) is coming on October 30. Perfect.

So, Sunday I haul all that "stuff" out to my front porch. No boxes are marked. I just pile it there so that I can get it out of the house with the intention of coming back Monday after the charity called to confirm they were picking up the next day to mark it with the charity's name. Ok. So, I happen to pile it right beside the boys' Big Wheel Bikes and Maddy's school booster seat (the one she uses for field trips etc.).

Monday afternoon I pull into my driveway and find not only have all my boxes disappeared, but that the Big Wheel bikes and car seat are GONE! OMGoodness! My heart sinks into the pit of my stomach. I start freaking out thinking that I missed the charity's call or I didn't remember the correct date. Or worse yet, I suspect someone's stolen all the stuff that's supposed to be donated.

I get to the porch and find a tax receipt from the Purple Heart. I don't recall the charity being the Purple Heart. I go inside feeling incredibly sick to my stomach and pick up my messages. There's a call from Value Village telling me they'll be by tomorrow for pick up. ACK! The Purple Heart came by, who knows why, and just helped themselves to all my UNMARKED BOXES AND MY KIDS' STUFF! OMGosh!!!!!! I'm super duper ticked off now.

I call Purple Heart at the number on the tax receipt...they're offices close at 3:30 p.m. Great. Now my kids' stuff is who knows where! Wahhhhhhhhhh!!!!

I tell Robin to try calling today to see if we can at least recover the booster seat. It's LABELLED with her name on the back (masking tape label!) and I'm still sick over this. Yes, as you can imagine, my darling busy husband completely forgot to do this. Wonderful. I highly doubt we'll see the booster seat again and we'll be out the money to replace it.

No good deed goes unpunished...sigh...

1 comment:

kimberly/tippytoes said...

ARGH! Any update?