I woke up this morning, like I do every morning to my stupid alarm clock ringing at 5 a.m. Like every morning, I flip the t.v. on for a quick synopsis of the traffic, weather and news the first five or so minutes. Yesterday, I really thought I might be still sleeping when I heard this report Take a second to check it out and then come on back for my rantings.
Seriously? You can't teach your own child manners and etiquette? Really? Is it THAT hard to lay down some rules and consistently enforce them? Really? Shuttling them off for etiquette lessons...I just don't know what else to say.
I understand being busy. I understand stress. Believe me, I do! Working full time, shuttling kids to school, practices etc. is hard and tiring at times. Oh, and I also have three kids who are less than 20 months apart in age. I get the whole "they're all so young and so close together" excuse, but for me, it doesn't fly.
My rules are firm but fair. There are certain ways we behave and if my child(ren) can't follow the rule, there is a consequence. Time out, sent to their room, favorite toy/activity taken away for a certain length of time, a lecture from me (which I KNOW they want to avoid at all costs as I tend to drone on and on and on...just ask my students!). But, the key here is that the consequence is immedite and firm. You don't behave like you're supposed to, then it's game over. Done.
We teach manners when we sit down for meals. Mouths closed while eating. No talking with your mouth full. Ask for something politely. Say please and thank you. We model this and we expect it from our children. I can't tell you how many times, on our trips up to Canada, that we've gotten the "OH, crap! A family with three small kids is coming in for breakfast" look. Even though they're usually up from 2 a.m. and have not had a great sleep in the car they are very well behaved. I've many a time had to take one out for a one-on-one chat about what is expected. I've never had to go further. I've even been complimented many times about their behavior.
I can't really think of a good reason for these classes, but I guess to each their own.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment