Thursday, June 05, 2008

Awkward

Today was Maddy's last ballet practice before their recital on Father's Day. She's been taking this class since September. She's had a little girl named Rachel in her class since September. Rachel's mom and I have chit chatted over the past school year every so often, but over the past couple of months, we've chatted more and more and become friendly. We even found out we live in the same neighborhood about two blocks from each other. Yes, it's a small world.

Today, the awkward part came. We chatted a little bit about how both Rachel and Maddy needed to take swimming lessons and how we hoped we might find someone at our community pool who might be able to teach the girls. She whipped out her cell phone and asked for my number. As she did she said "Oh, and I need to know how to spell your name". My name is fairly easy to spell for someone who knows Italian, but it's been butchered enough times in by English-only speakers that I didn't think twice about this. Until it was my turn to enter her name and number into my cell...see, I don't know this woman's name!

Ah, the awkwardness of the situation. I realized a few weeks ago that I should find a way to figure out her name, but there was no easy way to do this without exposing my ignorance and stupidity. She had an out...my name is easy to misspell if you're not familiar with Italian. I had no such excuse. Dang! So, I just replied with "Ya, I'll need your spelling and number, too." I'm so lame.

But, now I have Judi with a "i"'s number in my cell and hopefully we'll be able to get our girls together and swim some in the summer.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Oh, how many times have I done this!! At least it worked out since she has an unusual spelling :)