Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Kindergarten Graduation

Ok, I know my kid didn't really accomplish a whole lot this year that merits the term "graduation" to accompany the word "Kindergarten". My one hope and prayer for this year was that she managed to learn something and that I wouldn't get a call from the school to pick her up because she was misbehaving.

Thankfully, I got my wishes. No calls home--hurrah! and she actually learned something! Actually, she learned quite a bit. It scares me just a little bit to see what and how much my daughter's learned in ten short months.

She's learned to write the alphabet in upper and lower case letters so that they are recognizable. In fact, she's actually pretty darn good at it. I think, however, that my daughter, can't wait for cursive to be taught because she tries to make all her letters all "fancy". She can sound out most words and write them in her journal independently. Wow! I'm pretty impressed. She knows that the "K" sound can be made by either "C" or "K" and whenever sounding out a word that begins with that sound, she always asks "C or K?" She knows how to count to 100 and do basic addition and subtraction. She's learned what the coins are (darn it! Now I can't fool her into thinking five pennies is a lot of money! ;D ). She can sort of tell time. She gets that whole hour hand and minute hand jazz (I swear it took me forever to figure that stuff out!). She's got a good grasp of the science they learned as well as the social studies they covered. She can tell me when in the day her shadow will be the longest and who the current president is (even if I'd rather she didn't mention his name!).

She's learned a lot. So, even though she hasn't conquered the greatest mountains yet, she's climbed to the summit of one and planted her flag squarely at the top. She stands proudly there, smiling, happy and successful. That's worthy of a celebration--we'll just call it "graduation".

(The pictures in order: Maddy with Monseigneur John and Sister Carol being presented with her Kindergarten certificate, Maddy and Mrs. B-the Kindergarten Aide, Maddy and Mrs. S her teacher, Maddy and Mrs. M.-the music teacher, Maddy and Miss B- the reading specialist)

2 comments:

Suzy said...

Congratulations on finishing kindergarten! F - you are the proud mother of a 1st grader now.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Miss M! You're growing up so fast. Your mama is doing a great job!