Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Welcome To Summer...NOT!

Remember when you were a kid and you salivated at the thought of "no more pencils no more books"? I remember. I remember the long, lazy days of summer with swimming and bike riding, watching t.v., playing with the neighbors, swinging on the swingset, swinging the bat. Some days I was bored, but most days I lived for the fact that my brother and sister and I could run through the sprinklers on a hot day, have a freeze pop and not have to sit down and do homework.

My, how times have changed! At Maddy's Kindergarten "graduation" last week, her teacher informed all the parents that every single Kindergartener could read (yay!) and that Miss S in first grade had already gotten the summer work ready for the kids. She reminded us to check the school's website, log on to Miss S's site and start working with the kids over the summer so they didn't lose the skills they'd practiced all year or get rusty.

I was thinking "Oh, ok. No big deal. I can read to my child over the summer." This is what I was thinking would be on the list. Oh, I couldn't have been more wrong. Miss S had THE ENTIRE SUMMER mapped out. I mean, seriously...Monday through SATURDAY are planned out with something to do. Now, to be fair, the work will really take no more than 15ish minutes to do, but it just blows me away that I have to make the time every day to keep her on track. It's nothing difficult. Really, it's mostly a review of sight words, numbers 1-30 along with reading/reading to her and writing a sentence or two in her journal. Nothing crazy, but it sure does seem to damped the image of the carefree summer I'd envisioned for my child.

The one positive of this is that Maddy's totally bought into it. I told her about it last week just to brace her for the fact that we'd be doing some school-type work almost daily over the summer. She was excited about doing it. In fact, she did it with no complaints yesterday and was at my door this morning at 7 begging to do work in her workbook.

Yes, I have a strange child. This might work afterall...

4 comments:

Tanja said...

Sounds like my oldest. He was lamenting being out of school the other day. I asked the obvious, "Do you miss school?" and he said, "Lots!"

Suzy said...

I've heard of teachers around here having quite a bit of work for the summer..but Mon to Sat?! Good for your daughter to take it all in stride.

Now, the important question: HOW DID YOU GET THE HP RELEASE INFO ON YOUR BLOG???? I want it too!

Miss French Jessica said...

Hey Suzy,

The release date of the film has been out for a while. A simple google search gave me the exact date. The book cover is just from google images. Unfortunately for die-hard fans, Warner Bros hasn't yet released a trailer. Most are thinking now that it will be released sometime in July. I can't wait to see it. I'm chomping at the bit, so to speak. This may be the only movie I actually go to the theater to see!

Suzy said...

The Harry Potter movies are the only ones I see in the theaters as well! I knew it was coming out in Nov...but I didn't think to put it on my blog. Must...get...on...it. :)