Monday, March 17, 2008

A Delightful Monday

I got the lucky experience to chaperone my daughter on her field trip to see Horton Hears A Who! It was so much fun! The movies was pretty darn good. It had no "questionable" scenes that sometimes come in the "made for kids, but let's put something in there for the parents" type movie. There were some things that went over the kids' heads, but it was clean, funny stuff.

It was my first time chaperoning a school trip that I didn't sponsor as a teacher. I went as a parent today and boy oh boy! I'm not sure I'm cut out to do these early elementary school field trips! Thankfully the movie theater was a literal hop, skip and jump from the school. We just walked over. I had five kids, including Maddy in my group. We walked across the school parking lot to the metro station, through the metro station and up the stairs so we could cross over an incredibly busy street via pedestrian overpass. That was pretty cool seeing as I never take the metro let alone ever traverse that crazy street from above. The kids thought it was the perfect opportunity to screech in their loudest, proudest voices while in the covered overpass.

We thankfully all got into the theater with little difficulty. Then we had to do down the escalators. One poor little child in my group completely flipped out. I had to hold her hand and talk her through the entire experience while gently prodding the rest of my group to move along a touch faster as the kids behind me were hot on my heels and bumping into me. I was afraid I might tumble forward dragging the poor little girl along with me.

Then, of course, we overwhelmed the poor guy on duty who proceeded to direct me to the wrong theater. Lovely. I felt like a fool when the teacher called us back. Ooops!

We finally got to our proper theater and everyone sat down while some parent chaperones and teachers ran back and forth getting sodas, popcorn and Skittles for the kids. Did I mention grades Kindergarten through second went on this trip? Ya, I was glad we got there early.

The movie, like I said, was good! Lots of fun and went by pretty quickly. The kids were really well behaved! Yay! We started our trek back, holding hands and thankfully getting to the school safely and soundly.

It's times like this that I remember why I enjoy middle school so much more than elementary! My hat's off to elementary school teachers...I couldn't ever do your job!

3 comments:

Suzy said...

How fun!! Would you rec the movie for younger kids (say 3 & 4)?

ITA about elemtary school teachers...there is a reason I'm working on my cert for high school! I take my hat off to those who can teach young kids day in and day out.

Suzy said...

Let's pretend I know how to spell elementary! :)

Miss French Jessica said...

Suzy, it is great! I think 3-4 year olds would love it. In fact, I hope to take the boys over Spring Break if I can manage it. T & L would love it! :D