Sunday, March 16, 2008

If It Isn't Your Money, Why Do You Care

how I spend it? I honestly don't understand my brother-in-law. He can be the greatest guy on earth: helpful, kind, funny; but every so often he does or says stuff that makes me want to smack some sense into him. Today is one of those days.

We normally see him around our place on the weekends. Sometimes it's both Saturday and Sunday, sometimes it's just one of the two days. I think it's nice for the kids to spend time with him, Robin has someone who can and will talk nonstop sports and he has a nice time watching whatever game is on that day. Today, he stopped by to watch some college basketball game as well as to see who the picks are for the tournaments. Every weekend, he brings me his newspaper with coupons. Yay!

Today there was an ad for Michaels with a 50% off coupon. Sweet! Only issue is that it's only valid for today. I don't really need anything, but there are a couple of things I've been interested in playing with in my scrapping so I figured for half off, I would head on over and check 'em out. Michaels is just around the corner from me. Less than three minutes by car to get there.

As I pull on my coat and let Robin know I'm heading over, my brother-in-law pipes up asking why I'm going. I think he's kidding around so I tell him I'm going to browse and see what catches my eye. He then goes on to ask if I have a coupon and what percentage off it is. I tell him...50% off and only for today. He skeptically repeats this until I show him the coupon. He then questions me as to how much actual money I will save with this coupon. Uh...huh? Well, it would obviously depend on the orginal price of what I want to buy. Then he has the gall to ask me how much gas this will cost me. Uh, HUH?

Who in the heck does he think he is? I tell him basically I don't give a rip how much money in gas this will cost me. My tank is full and I'm going. I'm totally annoyed. This is my money I got my rear out of bed every morning for two weeks at 5 a.m. to earn it. This is my money that my husband and I allocated to be our spending money. I don't need to report to anyone how I spend that money. I could pass it through a shredder or throw it up into the wind for all he knows. It's my money! How dare he question me on how I'm using it!

This annoys me so much more right now because I know he's having some financial issues. Maybe he's transferring his frustrations to me? I don't know and quite frankly, I don't care. He needs to just mind his own business. If he had given us the money because we were in a financial bind, I could kind of understand his questions, but man! He crossed the line and I'm not a happy lady right now!

2 comments:

. said...

Sounds like he has some control issues or is envious of having the extra bucks to buy something that isn't an essential. Boy I hate people like that. Hang in there and just ignore that behaviour.

Suzy said...

Oh, your money = you decide how to spend it!! BTW, would love to see the new hair cut!!