Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday: Coffee On The Go


I love Starbucks! I really, really love a good cup of coffee in the morning. Usually, it's closer to two or three good cups to get me going in the morning. If I miss it, I seem to drag all morning long. Oh, I know I'm addicted to caffeine. I'm ok with that. I'm not ok with the cost of take out coffee, though!
A few years ago, it was not an uncommon sight to see me in line at the local Starbucks for my morning cuppa Joe. My usual was a "grande milk with room for cream, please". I'd use my trusty debit card and off I'd go. If I felt like a special treat, I'd tack on a scone or muffin for good measure. If I had Maddy along with me, I'd be buying a chocolate milk and a muffin for her as well. Some mornings I couldn't get out of there for less than $10 when all was said and done. Most days it was at least $2 if not more.
Then it hit me. Please realize light bulb moments sometimes need to smack into me, and hard, before I clue in. I can be a bit dense. It occurred to me that buying a pound of coffee would be so much cheaper than purchasing it by the cup. I could brew it at home and take a coffee to go by using my Starbucks travel mug! Remember, I told you it takes a while for a good idea to settle into my brain...
So, my WFMW tip is brew your own coffee and invest in a travel mug (or two...or three if you're like me and forget to toss 'em in the dishwasher every night...). In no time you'll have paid your investment of the mug(s) and saved a pretty penny. I love my Starbucks, but I love my money more. Oh, and think of how environmentally friendly it is! You're not using a disposable cup that clogs up our already overflowing garbage dumps. Great idea all around. Pinching pennies, getting a good cup of coffee, and helping the environment! Yay!
For more WFMW tips and ideas, head on over to Rocks In My Dryer.

No comments: