Every two years, our department plans a trip to Quebec for the French students. Actually, I plan the trip to Quebec for our French students. There are only two French teachers. My collegue plans the French catered meal every second year, and I handle the trip. I am about to lose my ever-loving mind on this stupid trip.
We have a quote for the trip based on 48 students, 4 chaperones. I send out the initial letter. The cost of the trip is clearly stated. The fact that students need a valid passport is clearly stated. The due dates for the deposit and balance are clearly stated. Reminder letters are sent. On the last possible day for payment of the balance, I have a kid back out. WHAT!?! You have GOT to be kidding me!
WE go through our wait list. Nope. No takers. We ask our other students if they're interested. I have about four interested. Whew! Great. I tell them that the first with their check the next school day goes. A young lady hands me her check yesterday. I deposit it with our Financial Secretary. Today I get an email telling me that this young lady is grounded and will not be going on the trip. The email goes on to say that a stop has been placed on the check. Lovely. Did I mention there was another kid, a more responsible, down-to-earth, easy to travel with kinda kid who didn't get to give me their check because she had to get it from dad and her parents are divorced and she hadn't seen him yet? Ya. That.
So, today, I have to call the second kid's mom and let her know of our situation and ask if she was still interested in having her child go. Thank GOD she said yes! Alleluia, praise the Lord because if she hadn't I think I'd be having a stroke right about now. The balance was due yesterday and we paid in full so we need for this money to come back to us for travelling expenses.
Sometimes I wonder why in the world I plan this trip. It's a nightmare to coordinate everything, make every student happy (think rooming lists, group assignments etc.), some parents are flakes, others will show up with no notarized letter. The list of things that can go wrong are never ending. And yet, every two years, we board the bus in the evening, arrive in Quebec in the morning and have a fantastic time. The kids learn so much. It's the trip of a lifetime. They'll never forget the trip even if they forget their French later on.
I guess that's why I do it...but it would be so nice if just once everything went off without a hitch!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
F, welcome to my career. This is what I do every day, but for groups of 200-2400 and all over the world.
Travel is the greatest motivator, educator and mostly, eye-opener. You do it to give others a (possibly) once in a lifetime experience. Not many get the opportunity to do that... enjoy the power in your hands!
Mel
I now have a better appreciation for the teacher who organized our school Wash D.C. trip. It definitely sucks for you, but they'll remember it forever.
Post a Comment