Monday, March 31, 2008

I Need A Twelve-Step Program...Seriously

I'm an addict. No, not to alcohol or drugs but one that's just as damaging to me--sugar! I love, love, love sugar. In all it's forms. It doesn't even have to come in a pretty wrapping. It can be transfigured into the most disgusting presentation, and I will consume it. Yes I will because I am addicted to sugar.

I just can't tolerate it anymore. I feel icky, yucky and ill when I consume it and yet, I continue to do it. Ugh! I am trying for the upteenth time to detoxify myself; get over the need for sugar. I can't help but find it everywhere though. Seriously, have you looked at the ingredient list on the packaging of a loaf of supposedly "good for you" whole grain bread? That stupid high-fructose corn syrup is all over it. It's everywhere!

I'm trying my best to stay away from sugar in it's most obvious forms, aka, sweets but also in it's not so obvious forms..."white" foods like white flour, breads, rices,pastas,etc. I can't handle it and my body does not so fun things. It's not an easy thing, but I'm loaded up on fruits, veggies, natural peanut butter, cheese. I'm hoping with these around, the cravings will eventually go away and I'll start to feel better.

Wish me luck; I'll need it!

2 comments:

KC said...

Every year, I go on the Jesus Diet-some kind of giving up on sugar products for Lent. One year, I tried to do all processed sugars- that was HARD.

I should probably cut back on sugars the rest of the year too- but I am weak. Go you.

Cynthia said...

Oh, I can totally relate. For you and anyone reading, there is a Twelve-Step program for people like us. It's Overeaters Anonymous.

http://www.oa.org/index.htm

April 10th will be my six-year anniversary of my abstinence from sugar. And I've been grateful for each and every day of it.

Hang in there.........

~ Cyn <3