Saturday, September 13, 2008

Maddy's First Soccer Game

was today. Overall, it was so-so. She isn't aggressive enough...she's too darn polite. If the other team had the ball, she'd let them kick it. She also "jogs" after the ball instead of "running" after the ball. For the first game, however, I'll cut her a break (because we all know how fabulously athletic I am! Ha!).

Unfortunately, the other team had some "issues". They were MEAN! Oh my heck! And they didn't follow the rules. There aren't any goalies for this age and they had 2 kids in the goal! Ack! Then another kid knocked and pushed Maddy over several times. Enough to make her bawl! My poor baby has such a thin skin, but I really don't think she ever expected anyone to purposefully knock her over. I want to look on the positive and say the kids must have been threatened by her superior skill, but I think he was just a meany...not to mention the other team's parents were actively encouraging the knocking over and shoving. ~sigh~ It's already begun and it stinks. I have a feeling we'll be definitely sticking to ballet as Maddy gets older. She's too darn "girly" to get knocked over that much and not start to hate it.

They lost the game, but they all came away with a good attitude of playing for fun and not necessarily to win. I hope there are some wins in their future, though. It would suck to lose all season!

1 comment:

Crystal said...

What a cutie. She sounds a little like my daughter. She is very tender hearted as well.

I remember taking my daughter to her first peewee soccer game when she was 3. She chased the pack back and forth across the field, getting really frustrated that she couldn't get close to the ball. Finally she got right next to it, went to kick it and right as her foot swung toward the ball, a boy kicked it away from her. She slapped him in the face right then and there, then sat down in the middle of the field and did not budge till it was over. It was a proud parent moment I tell you. ;)

Thanks for your comment on my blog!