Monday, September 08, 2008

Star Spangled Banner

I am a Canadian living in the U.S. I'm very proud of my citizenship and native country. I have never really thought too seriously about the nationality of my children. I sort of considered my children Canadian simply because...well, because I am.

Yes, yes, I realize my children are actually American as they were born in this country (although I do need to get their dual citizenship stuff--it's only been 6 years since I said I was going to do that), but deep down, I consider them Canadian.

So, it came as a little surprise today when Maddy's homework consisted of practicing the upper and lower case 'A' and 'B', but also to practice the Star Spangled Banner. It hit me like a ton of bricks (or, as a Canadian would write it: a tonne of bricks) today that my daughter was, indeed, American. As we practiced each verse, she sang with such pride and it broke my heart just a little bit.

I want to hear her sing about the "true North, strong and free"! I want to hear the love in her voice for Canada. But, alas, for her, Canada is a place where Mommy was born, where Nonno, Zio and Zia live. It is not her "home and native land".

Sometimes I wish I could go home again. But for now, I'll happily stay in the "land of free and the home of the brave" and raise my little Americans.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Does this mean you'll stop using extraneous vowels and cease eating poutine?

Miss French Jessica said...

Ah, the vowels I can possibly give up although I still feel the pull to add an extra (to you!) u in many words. The poutine, however, will never cease. LONG LIVE POUTINE! ;)