Monday, January 07, 2008

Ah, To Be Four Again...

My boys have no concept of time yet. They get "wait a sec" and "in a little while", but concrete units of long-range time...not so much. Ever since their birthday, John in particular, keeps asking "Is tomorrow our birthday?" When the answer is "No, honey, it's not. You both just had your birthday" he counters with "Well! When is our birthday? How long?"

You try explaining the concept of a year to a four year old! Next year, in their logic, should be NOW! Right NOW! Why? Well, because it's more convenient and fun that way, isn't it? I mean, why wait 365 more days for your birthday when it can be in one sleep's time, right? Ah, perhaps I should take a page from Alice in Wonderland and celebrate their "unbirthdays" with them! ;)

Some days, I wish I could go back to being four. Four: when the world was perfect, shiney and full of possibilities. Four, where nothing could stop you from your dreams. Four, when the weights and responsibilities of adulthood are far, far away and in your slumber your dream of far away, fantastical places.

Ahhh...to be four again.

2 comments:

Momisodes said...

Ah yes, to be four again. *sigh* To run, laugh and play to your hearts content. And the only stress known is how to get the coolest toys or beat your friends at a game. Indeed, it is great to be four, and no where near 40...

Suzy said...

Aaahhh, what is it like to be four? I can't even remember, it seems like too long ago. I tell T all the birthdays that have to happen before he can turn 5 and he now knows the list by heart. It may be worth a try.