Saturday, January 12, 2008

Word of the Year: 2008 Edition

Last year I was inspired by my friend over at Crafty P to come up with a word that I could focus on through the year. This word was to help remind me of my goals for the year. This was based on Ali Edwards' word for the year. Last year's word was breathe. I have found just reminding myself to breathe every so often to be such a great help to keeping me calm, helping me assess the situation more realistically and giving me the opportunity to make better choices. Thankfully, this word has been a real blessing to me this year. I've been able to reflect on what and why I'm doing what I'm doing when I'm stressed, angry or frustrated and I'm able to get some clarity and overall, I feel like I've made better choices in how to deal with each situation. It was a great experiment for me.

So, I decided I'd do a 2008 edition. I've been mulling the word over for a few weeks now. I'd wanted to come up with the word for the first week of January, but with all the goals and resolutions I'm working on, I decided I'd be better off taking some time to reflect before committing to something I wasn't all gung-ho about. After careful consideration, I decided that my word for 2008 is......

ME.
I guess some can look at that choice and think that it's a pretty selfish word to focus on for 2008. It might be, but I think I need to be a little selfish right now. See, over the past seven and a half years, ever since I've been married, I've done pretty much everything for everyone else. First, it was giving all I had to my wonderful husband and his kids. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, by the way. He deserved it; our first year of marriage was stressful with me trying to blend into an already pretty well formed family with children. The following year was focussed on creating some stability in our lives--purchasing our home, trying for children.
Over the past five and a half years, my focus has been almost 100% on my children. I love my children more than life. I'd do anything for them. In fact, I've done anything for them. I've given up who I am in order to be the best mother I thought I needed to be for them. It's taken me over five years to realize that everything I've been doing hasn't always been for their best benefit because I've been neglecting me. I've been neglecting my health, my life, my interests. I love my children dearly, but I need time to focus on me.
So, this year my focus and word is ME. I will make decisions that include ME in them. In the past, decisions were made with everyone else in mind except for me. If I even thought about how things affected me, it wasn't until the decision was already made, no going back. It was often a fleeting thought as well. This year, I will be a central consideration for all decisions I make and that Robin and I make together. Is what I/we are doing good for everyone, including me? If so, great. If not, adjustments are going to need to be made.
So, what's your word? I'd love to hear about it!

4 comments:

Suzy said...

I love your word. Had I thought about it last year, I would have picked "Me". So no, I don't think it is self-centered. Crafty P has the same challenge to find a word. I'll let you know what my word for 2008 is when I figure it out myself.

Suzy said...

I think I've got it: FUN. I'll blog about it one of these days.

Miss French Jessica said...

Love it! Great word, Suzy! Please do blog about it! :D

Crafty P said...

That rocks! You absolutely deserve to focus on yourself a bit. It will make you a better mom, wife, friend, daughter, etc etc.!

I need to jump on it and get my word figured out!