Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I Finally Feel

like I can drive on the highways in the U.S.

When I first moved here, a little over 8 years ago, the highways scared the pants off me. I'd never really ever needed to use the highways in my hometown in Canada. Most everywhere I needed to go, I could get to using local thoroughfares. No need to get on the highway where everyone drives 100 kilometers per hour. No sireee! No need!

I moved down south and holy cow! I can't go anywhere without getting on the interstate. And who the heck shortened the merge lane so abruptly? WHY won't that driver let me in? I just want to merge and no one will let me! Ack!

Getting onto the highway used to be a white-knuckled adventure on my part. I would get heart palpatations and cold sweats. I would literally have to talk myself through getting on the on ramp and merging into crazy rush-hour traffic. Nightmare doesn't even begin to cover the nature of the drives I had in my early years here.

Over time, I've gotten much bolder. So bold, in fact, I have no problems flipping someone the bird if they do something stupid. I can moving in and out of rush hour traffic with much more ease and skill. I'm not longer freaked out by the short merge lane. I'll get my van into the lane somehow. I always have managed it somehow.

I think I'm home.

1 comment:

Pam said...

Yay! I grew up in the mountains and we used the Turnpike out East. Moving here was an adventure for sure with the highways! Congrats!!!

tupoi/pam