The boys went to daycare as usual. As much as I love having them with me, today was a "mission oriented" kind of day. Two extra bodies, while well-meaning, would just add another obstacle to get around in order to accomplish what I needed to get done. Besides, they love daycare and often cry when I pick them up in the afternoon. Go figure.
Anyway, Maddy and I headed off to the commissary at 9:30 a.m. We were, unfortunately, up before 6 a.m. simply because once daddy's up, everyone's up whether they want to be or not. In the time before our departure, I managed to clip coupons (my mother-in-law and sister-in-law save their inserts for me) and organize them, start two large (7 quart) crockpots with homemade turkey soup (courtesy of the leftover turkey we had for Canadian Thanksgiving) and dye my grey streaked hair. I hopped in the shower, quickly blow-dried my hair and thanked God for Miss Clairol. I don't know where I'd be without her! ;)
Off to the commissary. Somehow, no matter my intentions, I can never get out of there without an entire cart bursting at the seams. Back home for lunch. The house smelled absolutely divine! The soup was wafting through the whole house. Mmmmmm! Ate lunch and then made our way to the hair dressers to get our hair cut. Maddy just got a trim; I got a cut that I'm hoping looks better once I mess with it a little.
After that, we headed for the library which was just down the street. A pleasant, brisk walk. Maddy choose some books and was actually pretty patient while I chose mine. I also walked out with three dvds! Cool! Dvds to watch for free. Can I just say how much I love the Public Library?! I got "Almost Famous", "Eat, Drink, Man, Woman" and "The Hours". They're all due next Friday. Let's just hope I remember to return them on time or I may be lamenting the fees I'll be paying in late fines.
Back home to take care of the rest of the leftover turkey. Turkey pot pies were made in no time and put in the freezer for a dinner (actually three) at a later date. YES! We then made our way to daycare to pick up the boys, who, once again, were unhappy about having to leave. Go figure.
Back home to make dinner. Tonight it was Easy Taco Bake (see recipe below). So easy and CHEAP! Awesome! Also made a double batch of brownies to bring to the First Grade Parent Get-Together tomorrow night.
The soup is now in the freezer, dishes are cleared away and we're getting ready to watch Ratatouille and eat popcorn. John's over the moon about this. He can't wait to turn out the lights, watch the movie with his bowl of popcorn. Ah, the simple things in life!
Have a great weekend, everyone! :D
Easy Taco Bake (from allrecipes.com)
INGREDIENTS
1 pound ground beef
1 cup salsa
1/2
cup mayonnaise or salad dressing (I know this sounds gross, but it really tastes
great)
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 cups crushed tortilla chips
1 cup
shredded Colby cheese
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 medium
tomato, chopped
2 cups shredded lettuce
DIRECTIONS
1. In a saucepan, brown ground beef;
drain.
2. Add salsa, mayonnaise and chili
powder; mix well.
3. In an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish,
layer half of the meat mixture, chips and cheeses. Repeat layers.
4. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for
20-25 minutes or until heated through.
5. Just before serving, top with tomato
and lettuce.


2 comments:
Very productive!!!
Care to share your turkey pie recipe? (maybe you can make it yesterday's post as if you'd always intended to do so. Although, the "I got nothing" did give me a chuckle!) : )
ooo, that taco bake sounds good. I think I'll add it to the menu soon!
Post a Comment