Saturday, October 18, 2008

A Little Wistful

I got a call from my brother today. That alone was cause for celebration as I rarely get a chance to speak with him. He's pretty busy with his life and often goes home to eat and sleep. He was calling to chat, but also to tell me he'd put in an offer on a condo in the downtown area of our hometown.

Our hometown has gotten more "metropolitan" since I moved away. It's a very cool place to live, now. Urban professionals and all that jazz. They've built up the old Market (I'm so jealous; I loved the old market, but have heard the new one is fantastic), put in a concert venue and really cool clubs, cafes and whatnot.

If his offer's accepted, he'll be in the middle of it all. He'll have a fantastic view of downtown from his balcony, be able to walk to all the cool places and will be about 15 minutes tops from work.

I'm a little wistful. That would be so ultra cool to do. I never really got a chance to do that. I moved out to an appartment which was as far from chic as you could get. I needed afforable, not chic, so it worked. I got married, bought the "house in the suburbs" and had kids. I don't regret my choices (because who could regret my three lovlies and my husband who loves me completely?), but I'm a little wistful.

It would have been the height of cool to own a condo, redecorate, buy cool, modern furniture that has no chance of being ruined by three rambunctions children. To gut the kitchen and put in a whole new one that suits your needs instead of scrimping and saving and hoping soon you can get rid of the horrific layout and design of your current kitchen.

My brother's going to have a great time in his "bachelor's pad". He's a great guy who just isn't ready to settle down, so a condo's a great fit for him. But I'm still a tad jealous. :)

No comments: