This is basically what happened this afternoon when I picked Maddy up from school. She came out a little later than the other kids. When I saw her, she wasn't her usual perky self. She looked like she was trying to hold back her tears but I had no idea why. She's loved school so far so I just couldn't imagine what had caused the welling up of tears.
We got to the van and got her in and Niagara Falls let loose! Holy macaroni! Between sobs, all I could figure out was that something happened during math. Something to do with backwards numbers, having to rewrite them and being last. When I tried to piece together her story, it made no sense whatsoever.
So I asked her again to explain which ended up in hysterical cries of "I JUST TOLD YOU! AREN'T YOU LISTENING TO ME?! ~~~SOB!!!!!!!~~~
Okie dokie then. So, instead of dealing with a sobbing child who couldn't form a coherent sentence, I called the school and asked to speak to her teacher.
I finally got the real scoop. The class started number journals today. They had to practice writing out numbers 1-10. She wrote a couple backwards and needed to redo them and go back to "tubs" (which I guess is a learning center for math??). She couldn't continue on to 11-20 until she'd done 1-10 correctly. Unfortunately for Maddy, she ran out of time. Apparently she was the only one at her table not to move on to the 11-20 numbers and she was really upset.
Her teacher did speak to her about it before dismissal and thought Maddy was ok. Apparently not. Poor teacher and poor kid! She takes things to heart so much. She's got my insecurities it seems. I hope she outgrows them because it's not fun to feel insecure about yourself and worry that you're being left behind.
Tomorrow she'll be able to work on her number journal during "free time" (which as Miss Simmons explained is really "study hall" but they call it "free time" HA!). Hopefully, she catch up to the point where she's happy again. I can't deal with her uncontrolable, unintelligible crying again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment