Saturday, December 20, 2008

More Baking!

I'm going to say I lurve my friend Julya who so generously shared the following recipe for eggnog pound cake. Yep. Eggnog and pound cake...together at last. The way it should have been for centuries.


I made this pound cake last weekend for a "trial run" before deciding if I wanted to make mini loaves to give out to my collegues and in-laws this Christmas. It took exactly one bite to decide that, yes, I was going to make these lovely, melt in your mouth, cakes. YUM!

So, without further ado; here is the recipe:


EGGNOG POUND CAKE



Ingredients:
  • 3 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt

  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg

  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon

  • 1 cup butter

  • 2 cups sugar

  • 3 eggs

  • 1 tsp vanilla

  • 1 cup eggnog

Directions:

  • sift dry ingredients together in a small bowl

  • in separate bowl, cream butter and sugar

  • add eggs one at a time; mixing well after each addition

  • add vanilla

  • add flour mixture to the bowl, alternating with eggnog

  • bake at 325 degrees F for 65-75 minutes (in 2 loaf pans), 70-80 minutes (Bundt pan) or about 22 minutes for mini loaves

I added some crushed candy cane to the top and oh.my.goodness! They're sooooo good! And my house smelled great to boot!

One thing I should mention, though. Please don't fill them too much. I didn't realize how much I'd filled them and some of mine overflowed. Thankfully, I had my mini loaf pans on a baking sheet so it wasn't a huge deal, but it could have been a pain to scrape off the bottom of the oven!

Also, I did mine in the little loaf pans you can find at Michaels and I believe it took about 35-40 or so minutes. I popped 'em in for 15 minutes, then added about 20-25 minutes when I checked on them. I was worried I'd burn them.

I can't wait to wrap 'em up and give them out to my collegues and sitter on Monday.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

This sounds good! I may have to try it! I enjoyed reading all the entries!

Kelly