Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas Through The Eyes Of A Child


This is probably my favorite picture taken on Christmas Day. William and his Woody doll. Look how peacefully he sleeps with Woody tucked safely in his arms. So sweet.

Christmas was lots of fun this year. I love that as the kids get older, Christmas gets to be so much fun! Playing Santa was awesome this year. The kids all got scooters and helmets from Santa along with some board games and the Shrek videos (1, 2 and 3) for the whole family to enjoy(can you tell Robin picked out that Santa gift?). We're going to make a point of playing board games a day or two a week. I think Maddy needs practice at being a graceful loser. As yesterday's game of CandyLand proved, she doesn't like to lose and she isn't very nice when she does. Pouting, whining and tears were all involved; enough said!

Maddy, I think was a little disappointed she didn't get a fairy, but seeing as that request came late, late, late December and our strict rule here is that the kids get three gifts total, it wasn't going to happen. Maybe I'll pick one up for her later on in the New Year, but not for Christmas this time. She got a V-tec "computer" that came with a couple of educational games. Unfortunately, I didn't have the foresight to realize John was going to have a full on hissy fit because he couldn't play with it. Couple that with a couple of crazy nights before where he didn't get to bed til late and still had William wake him at "regular time", it's the recipe for a perfect meltdown...at least three great meltdowns on Christmas day when you don't get your way. :S

Maddy also got a cute scrapbooking kit (are you surprised I'd get her that?) along with the first three books of the Little House on the Prairie books. These were my favorite books growing up and I'm looking forward to reading a chapter with her each night. We started last night and so far, she's enjoying it.

William and John both both basically the same thing. It's just so much easier seeing as they asked for pretty much the same thing. They each got a remote control car that they ADORE and a book of Dr. Seuss stories (each book has 5-6 stories in it). They also got the Buzz Lightyear and Woody "dolls".

I mentioned we keep the gifts to a strict three gifts per child. There's a really good reason for that. First, it keeps me in check. LOL! I need to know I don't have to and that I am "not allowed" to buy them everything I see. We'd be in some serious financial difficulties if I did that. Secondly, I think it's a good way for the kids to reflect a little and think about what they really would like for Christmas instead of it being a free-for-all "me! me! me!" event. Thirdly, we stress that they only get three gifts because Jesus received three gifts: gold, frankensense and myhrr (I hope I spelled those last two correctly seeing as I'm still half asleep!).

The only other thing they get other than their three wrapped gifts under the tree is a stocking. The stocking is filled with fun and practical stuff. This year, Maddy got some desperately needed headbands. She seems to have decided that she likes these and they keep the hair out of her face. The boys got some toy wooden cars picked up at the Target Dollar Spot earlier in November. All the kids got new toothbrushes, toothpaste, pencils (Cars and Princesses), new slippers (two sets of Spiderman ones-one red, one black- and a set of flowery 'girly' ones) and a dvd. Maddy got Ratatouille and the boys got Toy Story and Toy Story 2.

The kids had a blast all day playing with their new toys; well, ok, when they weren't having mini-meltdowns that is! And I got to watch the joy in their faces as they played with their new things. I'm not quite sure who had the better presents this year!



2 comments:

Suzy said...

Merry Christmas! Enjoy playing games the next week. I hope Maddy learns to loose a bit better. Have a merry break and a happy new year!

Crafty P said...

Merry Christmas! I love that first picture- my two boys adore Toy Story! Gabriel got the slinky dog for Christmas this year.

It was also our first year of the three gifts and it was sooooo good! They loved their toys and have been playing with them so nicely for the past two days!

Have fun playing games with your kiddos! I hope to have some pictures up soon... we'll see.