I've long been suspect to all the advertising on television. Marketers are great at hyping up a product that I then buy only to be greatly disappointed that the product didn't perform as well as I'd expected based on the sales pitch. So, whenever I see any advertising, I tend to be a bit skeptical.
My one step-son and I have a very uneasy relationship. As hard as I've tried, he's always been quite mean and rude to me. I completely get that I came into his life at the beginning of the crazy age of adolescence, but beyond that, his complete lack of maturity over the past seven years (yes, I'm accounting for some sort of maturity as one ages) has been my biggest issue with him.
As a young man of almost sixteen, this particular step-son thought it a wonderful idea to steal Robin's debit card and withdraw hundreds of dollars from our checking account. Needless to say, when we figured out who took the money, we both flipped out. He said he was sorry, but honestly, there was no remorse. He was just saying sorry to be done with it and move on. And move on he did for over five years. Although he promised Robin about four years ago he'd be paying back the money, we didn't see a dime of it in that time period; nor did we ever expect to. I just chalked it up to being a "gift" because thinking of the reality of it, the punch to the stomache it gave me every time I thought of him stealing from us, from his father, made me ill.
At the ripe old age of twenty-one, this young man decided he was going to join the U.S. Army. The army boasts on it's ads on t.v. that they build an Army Of One and their latest ad slogan claims soldiers to be "Army Strong". I must say, I was pretty skeptical of it's claims. The U.S. Army had never met the likes of this young man. Stubborn and immature, disrespectful and out only for himself, I doubted strongly he would make it through boot camp in one piece.
Well, last night, he came home from boot camp for Christmas. He'll be going back in January. The change in him is amazing. Really and truly amazing. Even for a skeptic like me, I can see how the Army has changed him. He walked taller and prouder. He spoke with confidence and like a man. He looked Robin straight in the eye. He was wonderful with the kids. He was nice to me! Amazing.
We went out to dinner as we had a bunch of running around to do, and he joined us. At one point at the restaurant, he went around to Robin and handed him a wad of cash saying "I owe you this. I was wrong to take it before and I'm sorry. I still owe you $X and I'll get it to you soon, but I wanted to give you something now" and sat down. We were both stunned. Never in a million years did I ever expect to see a penny of this money back. Never. I swear Robin was tearing up he was so proud. I am glad he's finally got a very good reason to brag on his son and be proud. There really wasn't much else to brag on before this. It seems harsh to say, but it's true.
I'm impressed. I never believed the ads. Especially not with my step-son. The U.S. Army has my undying gratitude . I hope once he returns to boot camp and finishes his training the following three months, that he'll be in a great place once in his life. Go Army Strong!
Friday, December 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
F, I'm so glad to hear about the positive changes in your step-son. I truly believe that for some people, the service can be a wonderful thing. As you know, my very best friend has been full-time military for 17 years, and although it's been hard, it's been a good life for her and her son.
Big hugs to you, my friend,
Marissa
It sounds like the army is a great place for you step-son! The military is wonderful and can be very positive for so many (some good friends included). I hope your relationship with your step-son, and R's with him as well, continues to grow.
Post a Comment