Friday, December 07, 2007

Will Murphy Strike Again?

We've been committed to erasing our debt for almost a year now. I can't believe how well we've done so far. I'm pretty proud of the work we've done and the dedication to our weekly budget talks. We've paid off our credit card that we used to pay for the floors a whole three months early and we're on our way to paying off our second credit card by summer time. While it seems like a ways away, it's not so bad. We're doing well and I'm happy about that.

One of the tenets we've been following is to have an Emergency Fund of at least $1000 on hand for those...well, emergencies. I was so excited to, at one point in our budgeting life, to actually have more than that on hand. And then disaster struck. First my van brakes needed replacing to the tune of $900. OUCH! Now, while it was really sucky to have to pull that money out of the fund, I was really very glad it wasn't put on a credit card. That's definitely what we would have had to do a year ago. So, while it sucked, it was better than the alternative.

We pouted a little and then sucked it up and saved back up our Emergency Fund. BAM! Another disaster. Our freezer when kaput with hundreds of dollars of groceries, meat, bread, etc. defrosting as we pondered what to do. Well, that's when we had to spend $600 on a new, but beautiful, freezer. While I adore my new freezer and all the room it has, I'm still bummed we had to use the money to replace my old one. Again, we pouted a little and put our noses back to the grindstone and saved back up our Emergency Fund.

Now that we have our $1000 back, I wonder when Murphy will show up. I hope he stays away for a long, long time. He's just not welcome here; in fact, he's been here a little too often lately!

1 comment:

Suzy said...

i hope murphy stays away - far, far away!