Every year, we go to my mother-in-law's place for Wigelia (I apologize to any Poles who realize I probably spelled that completely wrong!). Wigelia is Polish for Christmas Eve (or at least that's what I've been told by my Polish inlaws!). When Robin and I were dating/engaged, he asked me to come down from Canada to share Christmas with him and his family. I agreed and began the tradition of bringing homemade pierogies to dinner Christmas Eve.
My reason was not all together altruistic as those suckers are a pain to make, but for self preservation. First of all, I wanted to make a good impression with my future inlaws but also because in my family, we never eat meat on Christmas Eve. Ever. It's fish all the way, baby! But my future inlaws were going to be serving ham, gawimpki (I have no earthly idea if I spelled that correctly! but they're basically a beef "cabbage roll" and so so soooooo good!) and other lovely meats. So, pierogies it was. Well, it was a huge hit and eight years later, I'm still making them. I even made them the year I was pregnant with the boys. That year was really challenging!
Anyway, I got the recipe from a friend who got it from her Ukrainian boyfriend's grandmother. Got all that?! :D I'm going to share it with you today! You lucky people you! ;)
Cheese and Potato Pierogies
DOUGH:
4 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar (optional)
4 tbsp oil (I used olive oil)
2 cups water
FILLING:
7-8 large potatoes; peeled
2-3 cups shredding cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS:
Mix dough ingredients together and "pound" it out (my friend had to tell me to pound it so I would actually knead it! ;) ) You may need to add some more flour at this point if it's too sticky. I just play it by ear when I'm doing this part.
Stick it in a bowl and cover with a clean dish cloth.
Let dough stand for approximately 30 minutes (dough will rise slightly)
While dough is resting, peel potatoes and boil; shred cheese
When potatoes are cooked, mash together with cheese. This is your filling. I added some sour cream to my mixture this year and it was delish!
After the dough has been sitting, cut it into 3 sections. Check for any unwanted "bubbles" in the dough; knead dough if there are any.
Roll out dough and cut out with the rim of a glass or a dumpling maker thingy that I have (see picture below). You'll want to dust your surface with flour or the dough will stick.
Fill center with potato mixture and fold dough over and crimp the edges.

The white thing on the wooden cutting board is what I use to make the pierogies. It's meant for fruit dumpling, but I love that they make the cutest pierogies.

These are the finished product. I lay them on a cookie sheet lined with a tea towel and then put the whole sheet into the freezer for a couple of hours. That way, I don't have to boil them and they don't stick together! :)
I also made some Cranberry Pecan Loaf and Toffee Bars for my inlaws' Christmas baskets. I'll be making some more of the
Sweet and Spicey Cashews to add to the basket and maybe, if I feel adventurous I'll try the
Peppermint Bark again. We'll see.
Cranberry Pecan Loaf
Ingredients
1.5 cups flour
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1.5 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
1/2 c. golden raisins (can omit if you don't have any)
1/2 c. chopped pecans
1 T. grated orange peel (can omit if you don't have any)
2 eggs
3/4 c. milk
3 T. butter/margarine, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
Procedure
Preheat oven to 350.
Grease loaf pans.
Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, mix wet ingredients until blended.
Pour dry ingredients into wet and stir until moistened.
Spoon into loaf pan and bake for 55 to 65 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.

This is one of the loaves I'll be wrapping up and putting in the basket.
This is what it looks like when you slice it up. It's so so good! Sweet and tart all at the same time. I used fresh cranberries in it.
Toffee Bars
Ingredients:
1 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
2 cups flour
2/3 cup chocolate chips
2/3 cup toffee pieces
Procedure
Preheat oven to 350 F
Mix butter, sugar, vanilla and egg yolk in large bowl.
Stir in flour.
Press dough into an ungreased rectangular pan: 13x9x2 inches.
Bake 25-30 minutes or until very light brown (crust will be soft).
Immediately sprinkle on the chocolate chips on the crust.
Let stand 5 minutes or until soft.
Spread the chocolate chips over the top and sprinkle with toffee bits.

See how oogey gooey they are?! I'm worried about how to package them up, but I think I'll wrap them in wax paper and be good.
Well, gotta go! I'm running late for 5 o'clock mass and still need to get the kiddos dressed! Ack!
No comments:
Post a Comment