First on the "To Do" list was start laundry. Oh, how I hate doing laundry. What a chore. Then, I needed to "tidy up" the pit that is my house. My sister-in-law and her husband were coming over to pick up my old coffee table for their son who is moving into his new place this weekend. The tidying up didn't go so well. Ugh! Oh well.
Then we had to get everyone showered and dressed for a classmate's birthday party. I needed one as did Maddy. I had the boys in tears many, many times yesterday because they wanted to go to the party as well and couldn't or wouldn't understand that they weren't invited. Gah! Oh, and if it wasn't the tears and whining about the party, it was asking a million times a day "When are we going to the Secret Santa? Are we going now?" even though I told them both countless times we were going at night when it was dark outside. It's so aggrivating.
The birthday party was according to Maddy, "Fabulous!" which of course led to the inevitable question of "Can I have my party there?! Please?! I loved it!" Great. We'll have to see. I'm trying beyond measure to NOT have kids' parties for as long as I can possibly avoid them. We'll see how long I can get away with it.
The St. Nicholas Festival at the school was wonderful. We got there later than we have in the past because the birthday party was from 5-6:30 p.m. We didn't get out of the party 'til 6:45 and the St. Nicholas Festival started after 5 p.m. mass. Regardless, we went, ate cold spaghetti dinner, sat and took photos with Santa and the kids bought some Christmas gifts. All in all, lovely! The only issue was that when the kids went through the Secret Santa Workshop with my neice (7th and 8th grade students take the kids through; no parents allowed!), she misunderstood Robin's directions. He told her the kids had $5 each to spend; she heard $5 total. Sigh. I'll have to take the kids out to get each other a gift later on. No biggie, just a little annoying.

We have also started our official "Countdown to Christmas" with our Advent Calendar. It's the one from Starbucks and it's great! I had to open it up yesterday and replace all the chocolate with hard candies and Starburst so that the kids didn't fight and that we wouldn't have any huge issues with William's peanut allergies. When you've opened one of the boxes, you turn it around and there is a picture there that by Christmas will have formed a cute scene on the back. The best part is that it's reusable! The cardboard it's made of is pretty sturdy so we'll definitely get our money's worth. 

The tree has been up since last weekend and the mantle and staircase are all decked out with garland and lights. The Christmas cards have been printed, signed and addressed. They're ready to go out in tomorrow's mail. I have the kids' Christmas and Santa gifts bought and hidden. I'll be wrapping sometime in the next week or so and maybe putting them under the tree. I'm not sure if I trust the kids not to open them up just yet. I'll play that by ear.
We're listening to our favorite Christmas music and I'm starting to plan out my Christmas Dinner. All I know for sure is that we'll have prime rib. I'm thinking of making this recipe from Giada DiLaurentis on Food Network. Looks yummy, but the reviews on the site make me wonder if I should try something different. It appeals to me for many reasons: 1. it uses panettone which is so so traditional for Christmas in Italian families. I love panettone! 2. It has chocolate; 'nuff said! 3. It has liqueur! Whoohoo! Who could ask for more? oh, and 4. It looks fast and easy. Who doesn't need fast and easy on Christmas day?
Today is the first day of Advent. I'll be pulling out my wreath this afternoon and we'll be lighting our first purple candle. I wish all of you a wonderful Christmas season full of nothing but peace and happiness!


2 comments:
Wow, nothing like being busy this weekend! I'm glad you survivied Saturday. The pictures are great! I've seen the tree in Starbucks, but thought it'd probably be too flimsy. I hope you get your laundry done and can relax some today!
I am maybe the one Italian who hates panettone! We used to get so many as gifts that my mom would freeze them for later. Gross.
Post a Comment