Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A Simple Pavlovian Response Would Be Wonderful

Honestly, how hard is it to remember to turn off the lights when you leave a room? Really? On a scale of 1 to 10, how hard is it? How terribly difficult can it be for a grown human man to do this?

Apparently not only is this task too difficult for a five and a half year old and two almost four year old children to do, but it seems the "Mission Impossible" for a full grown, should know better, adult male. I don't get it. Leave room, turn off light. Easy, right? Two steps to remember, flick the switch to the down position. It doesn't even require the use of the opposable (did I even spell that correctly?) thumb.

Why is it Pavlov can train a dog to salivate at the sound of a bell, but I can get a grown man to turn off a light?

2 comments:

Wecare4much said...

Can he clap his hands? Maybe a Clapper should be under the tree for him this year. Clap on, Clap off, the Clapper! LOL

Suzy said...

ITA w/wecare4much, the Clapper is the way to go. We are the opposite here. DH turns lights off in rooms I'm in knowing full well I need the light. :-s