Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A Book Recomendation

I went to the library last week with the kids and my sister. The primary reason for our library stop was to get Maddy some reading books to practice her skills over the summer. While the kids were enthralled with their book choices, I wandered a little and came upon a newer release (at least that is what it said on the shelf) that intrigued me: Prisoner of Tehran .

I picked it up and couldn't put it down. The horror of Evin Prison, the Ayotollah's regime and the change to a theocracy were truly frightening. It scares me to think that in this day and age, so much oppression and subjegation can occur. I sat poolside while the kids swam and cried for Marina. Her whole life changed in the blink of an eye. Her unshakeable core of faith and strength to do what she had to do are what impressed me the most. I don't know if I could have been as brave as her or any of the political prisoners she describes. I suspect I never would have survived a place like Evin. I hope I never have to test that theory.

Read the book. It's powerful.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Have you read A thousand splendid suns? It's by the same author as the Kite Runner. It's AMAZING. It sounds a lot like what you read.