Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Happy 141st Birthday, Canada!

On this day in 1867 the provinces of Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick entered into Confederation. A country. Wow. Since that time, six other provinces and three territories have entered into Canadian Confederation.
I'm so sad that I'm not at home celebrating my country's birthday with my fellow Canadians. I'm usually there by now, but circumstances as they are this year, I'm still in the States, so no fireworks for me tonight. I have often gone to the Canadian Embassy in D.C. for Canada Day festivities, but with so much going on in terms of general household upkeep this past week, I completely forgot about it. Unfortunately, you can not just show up on the steps of the Canadian Embassy on Canada Day and be let in. You need to have your name on their list and bring ID. Just no time for that this year unfortunately. Another time, I guess. It's usually a great party even with the ordeal of finding parking in D.C.--a task that's difficult on a regular day!

So, to all my fellow Canadians out there: I hope you have a fantastic day celebrating. Paint a red maple leaf on your cheek and party!

No comments: