I'm so glad I don't live in Pioneer Times, like Laura Ingalls Wilder and have to travel far distances in a wagon. If I were Ma or Pa, I think I would have traded my kids to any kind Native I met along the way. My children get bored very easily and are quite vocal about it, too!
We bought our van almost five years ago when we discovered we were having twins. I love our van. It's a very comfortable ride and it even has a few modern conveniences including a VCR. Ah...but there's the rub. Our van is a 2001 model...maybe 2002 (I'm fuzzy on the details), and then, a VCR in your van was a modern convenience. Now, not so much. Have you tried looking for VHS tapes recently? Movies on tape? Ya...not so easy to find. Even consignment shops have stopped carrying them. My old VHS taped kids' stuff was getting LAME. I think I'll have a epileptic seizure if I hear Elmo or Arthur one more time on our trips. It's virtually impossible to locate any Disney films on VHS, but I have located a few for my sanity.
Our solution: a portable DVD player! Yay!! A purchase Robin swore would cost no more than "about $30-40" ended up costing $130 because of cords and "this and that", whatever that means. Honestly, I don't care! As long as it gives me some sanity from the "I'M BORED, MOMMY!" that seems to happen at about hour 0.35 into the trip, I'm good.
So, off to Best Buy to purchase it. Robin tried it out before we left and all systems were good to go. We managed to stave off the kids until after breakfast. Our rule is no movies until after breakfast, because by then we've made it almost half way and I figure I can handle movies after that point. Besides, we leave so darn early expressly hoping they'll fall back asleep once we're on the road. As they get older, the less this has actually been happening. :S
After breakfast, we fired up the dvd player, popped in Cars and we were off. Until the dvd player just stopped playing. About two thirds of the way in, it stopped. Apparently the battery died and it wasn't drawing anything from our car battery. Everything was plugged in where it was supposed to be, but nada. No juice, therefore, no Cars.
Thankfully, I'd forgotten a tape in the VCR from our previous trip, so the kids watched that...twice.
We made it here in one piece and with all our minds sane. Robin has charged up the battery and has apparently ironed out our wrinkles with the player. Apparently, we had it plugged in the cigarette lighter spot and we were supposed to plug it in somewhere else. As long as it works, I don't really care where it gets plugged in. But, just in case, I'm going to ask Robin to bring back some VHS tapes when he comes back in a couple of weeks. As much as I love Aladdin, I can't take Robin Williams for more than one film showing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
Isn't that the truth?! That's a "must" on our next vehicle purchase too.
As for VHS, have you checked Goodwill or garage sales? I find most of ours there. VHS is still just the best option for toddlers, don't you think?
Safe travels and have fun!
so glad you made it safely!
Hey...this is the Crafty P's friend, Rachel...
I'm just throwing this out there. When we purchased our life saving travel DVD player, the same thing happened to us. Later we learned that we were NOT supposed to have the battery IN when the machine is plugged in to the van. So, when we removed the battery, it worked perfectly.
I'm sure you guys have already solved the problem, but just in case.....
Happy travels!
Bless you for making it safely. We get our VHS tapes at consignment sales (not stores)..there are tons at the sales I go to.
Believe it or not, we drive without a DVD or VHS player. Keep us in your thoughts because it is a 2 day drive (22 hrs drive time, I think).
Have a great trip!
Rachel, thanks for the tip! I'll let my husband know. I've looked for the actual battery, thinking I could pop in a new one (here I'm thinking AA or something) and I couldn't find anywhere the battery might be. I'm guessing I'm either 1. electronically/machine not smart (probably the most likely culprit) or 2. the battery doesn't come out...as in, it's part of the machine.
Suzy, you're my hero! 22 hours would be the death of me. We do 12 hours in one shot but the first half is sans films. We force the kids to listen to Robin's music (aka: Simon & Garfunkle, Rolling Stones, John Denver). We're so mean! ;)
I'm glad you made it! We have a DVD player in the car, but never use it. The portable one that goes on the plane? That gets used much more. I wish I would have saved the money and gone portable from the start. My friend also uses a video iPod for restaurants and she downloads PBS shows. Of course, I want!
I can remember borrowing that tv/vcr combo for a long car ride! We received a dvd player a few years ago and it was so helpful for the 19 hour drives to Alabama (from NJ). It died mid-journey, and with 5 or 6 hours left in the trip, we had to buy a new one.
Post a Comment