Thursday, July 31, 2008

Not A Good Appointment

I made an appointment for the kids to have their eyes checked. It's their very first time getting their eyes examined. They've been great with doctor and dentist appointments, so I figured this would be a breeze. Boy, was I wrong!

Actually, it started out fine...other than the fact that two of my children could.not.sit.still while I tried to fill out stupid paperwork. I had to whisper through gritted teeth and give them my death stare in order for them to stop their carrying on. We finally got called back and one of the ladies took them in for a quick eye exam...you know the one where you look through a little hole, focus on a point and the person clicks a button and you're done? Don't you love how technical I am? I have no earthly idea what that "test" is, but I get it done every time I go in. Maddy did fine. William took forever! He could not sit still enough for the lady to do what she had to do. Finally, after what seemed like 20 minutes, I asked her if she wanted me to hold his head still. She did...so I did. Finally got him done. I wasn't about to take chances with John, so I just held him still and we were ready for the actual eye exam.

Maddy, once again, did just fine. For some reason, William, John and the eye doctor just didn't have it all together when it was their turn. William couldn't follow all her directions and she was getting super frustrated with him. She was making me nuts because she kept asking him to read the letters...he had no earthly idea what they "spelled" and she kept asking him to read them. Only when I told him to say what each letter was that things got halfway better. Only halfway better because then for some reason, William couldn't read the letters. Couldn't name any of the letters I know he knows. Grrr! Oh, and then she asked him which lense was better...number one or number two. Seriously...he had no clue. Gah! John's appointment went almost the same way. She was just so frustrated you could hear it in her voice. Her tone was not nice. I was not overly impressed I gotta say.

I hightailed it out of there as fast as humanly possible before I exploded. Apparently William has 20/25 vision while John has 20/30 vision with issues focussing on smaller words. No prescription was given today, but she wants us to keep an eye on their vision and get screened each year. Um..ya...but NOT with you darling! I don't doubt there's probably some vision issue with them, but with all the craziness of the exam, I'm not quite certain she got an accurate assessment of them. I need to see if our insurance covers a pediatric opthamologist for a second opinion. I'm done with the one we saw today! :S

2 comments:

Brandy said...

Ugh! Sounds like a crazy appointment!

I'm taking my 5yo son to the dentist for the first time on Monday. I'm REALLY hoping that I don't have to go back in the room with them...I think everyone would do better if I waited in the waiting room.

At least you're done for another year!!

Rachel said...

What in heaven's name are they doing asking a kid that age to "spell" the letters?! And do they not have any idea how hard it is to choose which lens is better? (I struggle with that, and I'm an adult!) If you can't be patient with small children, you shouldn't take them as patients.

Ugh, sorry you had to deal with that. I just think it doesn't take that much to make it easier on a little kid, why not try it the easy way the first time? Good luck finding someone better :)